Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Those Darn Red Wasps!!

Who'd have thought a little wasp sting would lead to calling 911??....Saturday Kalin was out riding her bike in the driveway and was stung by a red wasp. She came running in screaming and I calmly set her down to have a look. I put some calamine lotion on it and a bandaid, thinking that was all she'd need along with a little lovin. Well, she started getting little tiny hives all over her face and body. She was screaming and hitting her ears, saying they felt like they were blocked. I called my friend and go to person once again (Sharon) to ask what she thought.  Then I noticed that her face turned bright red and her face started swelling up - her eyes looked like they were going to swell shut, her top lip was huge, and her ears looked like big puffy fake ears. She said she felt ill and a little dizzy. I called her pediatrician and talked with a nurse who told me to call 911.  They were there within 5 minutes (awesome!!). It all worked out fine, but we now have to keep an epi-pen at home and school just in case there is a next time. The doctor said she may not be able to breath next time! 

A little scary, but I'm so thankful that she is fine and for all those who helped me and helped this whole experience be a calm one. What a blessing it is to have medicine and paramedics, doctors, nurses, and so on who know what they are doing. I sure didn't! I definitely learned a few things - don't be afraid to call 911, insect bites can be very serious (they had a couple others in the ER that day who had been stung and couldn't breathe), and remember to pray because Heavenly Father can bless you in ways others can't. I'm so very blessed to still have my little Kalin and to be a mother. Not sure why those darn wasps were even created other than to give opposition, but I am grateful for this experience and what I learned as a mother that day.

I didn't get a picture of her when she was all swollen, but this is after we came home from the hospital and you can see her eyes are still a little puffy.  She got this cute Wellstart Bee (kind of ironic right?)  and some stickers.  She was such a good sport and so tough through it all!


1 comments:

Marilyn said...

I am sure thankful that everything turned out ok. Hope there are no more wasp stings.....

love, Grandma